What is dermatology?
Veterinary dermatology specialists deal with conditions affecting the skin and ears. Diseases affecting the skin and ears are some of the most common reasons for pets to be presented for veterinary attention.
While many cases can be swiftly and effectively treated by general practitioners, some pets suffer from chronic or recurrent skin or ear issues. While conditions affecting the skin and ears are not usually life-threatening, they have the potential to cause significant discomfort and can be very distressing for the pet. The input of a dermatology specialist can help both owner and general practitioner ensure that there is a treatment plan in place which allows for long-term control of the pet’s condition. Some conditions which our dermatology specialists can help with include;
- Allergic skin disease / atopy
- Chronic / recurrent otitis (ear infections and inflammation)
- Autoimmune skin diseases (eg Pemphigus complex)
- Pruritis investigation (investigation of itchiness)
- Bacterial, parasitic and fungal skin infections
- Diseases of the feet and nails